Sunday, August 30, 2009

Matthes Crest

Hi There-
Last Wednesday Jed and I decided to tick off one more High Sierra Classic. Matthes Crest is hidden in the Tuolumne backcountry in Yosemite National Park and you don't even catch a glimpse of it until you are about 6 miles out. A geological oddity, Matthes Crest is a mile long fin of knife edge golden granite and climbing it consists of literally just following the crest and not looking down! The photos pretty much speak for themselves, but I will say a couple of things, it was one of the first climbs we've done helmet-less which was surprisingly liberating (we wear helmets primarily for fear of falling rock but when you are on top of the mountain all day there isn't much to worry about). Jeds helmet is beginning to stink after a summers guiding season and my neck hurt from headbanging the night before so a helmetless traverse suited us. What else, oh yeah, Jed had the camera most of the time and I had the cool glasses so appologies in advance for all the photos of yours truly. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jed, how come I don't see any rope? Are you guys becoming crazy soloers?

    I was absolutely stunned to see the crest last year on a backpacking trip. Wish I could climb it someday.

    Oh, and thanks for the nice time at wild whisky.

    Manuj

    ReplyDelete